How many of you would make a decision to book or not to book off the back of a TripAdvisor review?
Do you feel TripAdvisor is 100% honest?
What could be done to make it fairer?
Anybody who’s ever worked in hotels knows that you can never please every guest even if you work in a new luxury branded property there is still a large possibility that enough grumpy customers can slip through the net. Service recovery plays a part in any basic customer service training but statistics state that for every customer who does offer up their feedback there are many lined up behind them who’ll simply walk away and login to TripAdvisor.
There are lots of hotel review blogs out there such as:
However Trip advisor is by far the largest and most globally recognised, having recently hit the magic 100 million reviews and opinions being the first travel site to do so. TripAdvisor has stated that the amount of reviews and opinions are up 50 per cent year on year and the site currently features: • More than 100 million travel reviews and opinions from travellers around the world • 1,600,000+ businesses • 110,000+ destinations • 610,000+ hotels • 200,000+ attractions • 880,000+ restaurants • 11,000,000+ candid traveler photo More than 50 new contributions are posted every minute.
Whichever review website you use:
• If reviews appear to be at both ends of the spectrum, i.e. being extremely positive and also very negative they should be taken with a pinch of salt.
• Focus on reviews written by people like you. Many websites let you filter reviews in such a way that you’re shown only those written by people travelling alone, or as a family, and so forth.
• The more reviews the better, law of averages will give you a better picture of the hotels standards, in other words if there are only 20-30 reviews the average could still be quite bias towards either negative or positive.
• Trust the longer reviews as they are more likely not fabricated.
• If photos are included they are more likely to be authentic and perhaps more trustworthy
- TripAdvisor survey shows how hotels are responding to boom in reviews (tnooz.com)
- TripAdvisor Reaches 100 Million Reviews And Opinions Milestone (socialmediaportal.com)
- Tripadvisor Reaches 100 Million Reviews And Opinions Milestone (prnewswire.com)